Monday, October 02, 2006

On Rosh Hashanah it is written, On YK it is sealed.

With just a bit of time between morning and afternoon Yom Kippur services, I feel like this is a good time to write my thoughts for the week. I decided to wait until today, because nothing I could write on Friday would help me explain what it is like to be in Jerusalem on the holiest day of the year. Afterall, at home we start fasting before we drive to Kol Nidre, come home and my sis and I usually watch a movie to make the afternoon hours go by and when mom gets home from Yiskor we can break fast...first at home if we are going to the Altman's home and than with our friends, who we usually just feasted with just days ago at Rosh Hashanah.

But, this year in Jerusalem. Our Kol Nidre services began at 5 pm, in broad daylight. First, I might mention that if Jews governed a land (i.e. Israel) when would you turn back the clock for the end of daylight savings? Well, Yom Kippur ofcourse. Well, actually the Saturday night before, but it was not accidental that the Israeli daylight savings come to an end just as we embark on the fast. 5pm is still broad daylight, even after turning the clocks back and it so happened that I had to be at the service early. So, rather than a 'last supper' my dad (who arrived yesterday morning) and 8 or so of my friends sat down to an Italian feast lunch...we were DONE eating by 4 pm and, as such, began our fast.

Kol Nidre services began as we watchd the sun set over the walls of the old city. We have our holiday services in the most magnificent room you've ever seen, with a panoramic view of the old city. Blue skies turned orange, pink and red as we sang Avinu Malkeinu. There is something amazing about being in the company of all the other people you are training to be clergy with. And, to hear the amazing voices of the cantorial students who have worked so much harder than us Rabbinic students there first few months, in order to prepare for these holidays, have the most breathtaking voices. Hours later we emerged from our shul and walked out into the streets.

It is a custom in Israel that the people take to the streets Erev Yom Kippur to congregate with their friends and apologize to those they run into for any wrongdoing in the year that has just ended. There is not a car on the street. The streetlights do not even operate. Kids are riding bicycles, skateboards, roller blades. There are adults, children, strollers, dogs and everyone is together. I joked that it was almost like Shakedown street at a festival/concert minus any and all tangible goods beyond the people walking shoulder to shoulder trying to keep together with those they came with. People are wearing slippers, converse, crocs but no leather. Mostly everyone is dressed in white.

A good nights sleep and I find myself back in that glorious room with a view for services this morning. I have my dad, who has never been to Israel before and has arrived in Jerusalem just in time for this day of atonement, on one side and one of my newly made friends from school on the other. I am asked to lift the Torah again during this service. Last week the entire scroll was on the left side, not great for my non-dominant hand and the hundreds of eyes watching me life the scroll above my head for all to see. But, this week, its on the right and am able to get much more height so the whole congregation can see. There is nothing like lifting a Torah in the air and turning around to look into the old city of Jerusalem on Yom Kippur.

After services were over we took a walk into the old city and to the Kotel (the Western Wall). I've been there many times, but for my dad this was his first. It was empty, but voices in prayer could be heard from all fo the yeshivah rooms that surrouned this holy site. After returning from the men's section, I was told that it was packed on the inside...that the men praying were there, but in the shade. An hour from now the place will be packed, just like on Tisha B'Av, but now everyone is still in shul.

It is almost time to go back to school for our concluding services and than break fast hopping around Jerusalem to various friends houses. I anticipate lots of bagels and lox and a good night's sleep...afterall, school resumes again tomorrow. So, that is my picture from Jerusalem on this Yom Kippur.

In conclusion, I will take this time to say that to anyone I love whom I may have angered or hurt this year, I am sorry. I hope that you will forgive me and, in the coming year, that I will learn from the mistakes I made this year and move into the new year in a better light that I lived this past year. With all my love...and missing everyone I care about on these holidays!

No comments: